Sunday, January 10, 2010

School tomorrow!

The kids are finally going back to school tomorrow morning! Since mid-December, they have only attended school for two days, and it's definitely time for them to go back. I'm looking forward to having some peace and quiet here after the kids leave; Starbuck is the only one home in the mornings, and when Princess arrives home at lunchtime, both girls expect to spend a couple of hours in their bedroom after they eat. So maybe, just maybe, I'll have a little bit of time to myself tomorrow during the day.

I have another week to decide whether or not to stay in college this quarter. As I've said before, my heart just isn't in it right now. Part of that, I'm sure, is due to the anti-depressant medications that I'm taking. They make me feel mentally fuzzy, and while I recognize that they are necessary at this time, I really don't like their side effects. As much as I want to finish my degree, I'm not sure I can get my head back in the game quickly enough to stay in school this term. We'll see how I feel this next week. I have several assignments due on Friday, so this will be a good test of my ability to focus on college.

Having the kids back in school will help a great deal, I'm sure.

Shakespeare did very well at his hockey practice this morning, scoring a breakaway goal during the scrimmage. Unfortunately, our son is a very poor loser, and when his team lost, he started pouting. He was whining and complaining all the way home, which made me laugh, because Sweetie does the same thing when his team loses. (Okay, in all fairness, Sweetie doesn't use a whining tone of voice, but he does complain a lot.) I need to find a good way to improve Shakespeare's sportsmanship soon, because he won't cut it in the higher levels if he continues to act like a spoiled brat when his team loses.

I took Twirler to the bookstore and to lunch today, since she's been working very hard to help us keep the little ones from destroying the house during our weather-induced captivity. After that, I took her to her friend's house for a few hours while I headed to the yarn and fabric stores. I now own four balls of very soft yarn for my scarf (same dye lot as my original ball of yarn), and I signed up for the store's mailing list. After that, I went to the fabric store to pick up some iron-on patches for the kids' pants, and while I was looking around, I came across a couple of women trying to make their very first quilt. They didn't seem to know what they were doing, so I started talking to them and giving them some tips. It felt good to be able to help them with their project, and I hope that they will contact me when it's finished (I gave them my card).

At the bookstore, I ran into one of my cycling buddies, and we made a "date" to go riding once spring arrives. He's in much better condition than I am, but he can go slow until I get in shape again. It was good to see him again. He and Sweetie work in the same building, so maybe we can convince Sweetie that buying a bicycle would be a good investment. I would LOVE to go bicycle riding with my husband this summer, in addition to riding with my friend.

The baby girls are finally in bed, and I don't think that they are going to come out again. We try to have the kids in bed no later than 8 p.m. on school nights, but those two little girls fight us almost every night. Tonight, they were stealing toys from each other, which led to fist fights as they tried to defend their territories. When they aren't fighting, they are very attached to each other, but they can get downright vicious when they fight. On most nights, they tend to work together to sneak out of their bedroom, which causes almost as much trouble for us. It gets frustrating when we have to tuck them in so many times each night.

Now that my mommy duties are over for the evening, I'm going to get dinner and go to bed. Good night, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment