Sunday, January 24, 2010

The house is still for sale

That big house down the street is still available. A new real estate agent has taken over the listing, and the price is still much lower than the actual value of the house.

Sweetie and I are talking about it again.

I'm not holding my breath, but I am going to act as if we are going to sell this house and move down the street. Number one priority for today is to get a bunch of my collectibles on eBay. They are taking up valuable space, and I don't want them anymore. Most of them were demonstration models I purchased years ago, when I was a sales consultant for that company. I bought them to show, not to sit in my house for years, collecting dust.

My Etsy shop has been seeing a significant upturn in business this weekend, so I'm finally getting my fabric inventory moving. I'm not making any profit on the fabric, though, because I decided to go back to college instead of concentrating on my quilt shop, and I cut my prices to get the fabric sold. I will probably order a few bolts here and there, just to keep my account open with the manufacturer, because I would really love to own a brick-and-mortar quilt shop once we get settled somewhere. Besides that, with the amount of quilting that I do, being able to buy wholesale is a very good thing.

In addition to the eBay auctions, I have a few small quilt tops that I plan to quilt and sell on Etsy. Those will have to wait a little longer, since I have other tops that need to be done first, but I'm making plans to finish them when I can.

If we do decide to buy that house down the street, it's going to cost a LOT of money up front. First of all, we need to fix up our current home, so we can at least break even when we sell it. Then we need to fix the new house, just to make it habitable. That bathroom leak is probably going to be the most costly repair, but I'm sure we'll find more once we move in. The carpets definitely need to be cleaned, and we'll need to completely sanitize the place before I'll feel comfortable having my family use the bathrooms. Since the previous owners took all of the kitchen appliances with them (except the super cheap dishwasher), we'll have to use my credit card to buy new ones. Not an ideal situation, but necessary in the short term. We will save enough money on our mortgage to be able to pay off that card within a year, especially if we are able to get some good deals on the appliances.

Anyway, I have my work cut out for me today. I'm hoping that things will work out for us. That house will be wonderful for our family, despite all of its shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment