Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hormone-induced dreams

When I was younger, the first sign of pregnancy was often a crazy, intense, vivid dream. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and wonder where I was. The dreams seemed that real. Within a few days, I'd realize that I was pregnant, and the dreams would often continue, off and on, throughout the pregnancy.

Now, I'm getting those kind of dreams at a certain stage of my monthly cycle, roughly corresponding to when I'd discover that I was pregnant (back when that was a possibility). This month, the dreams are more intense than they have ever been in my entire life, pregnant or not pregnant.

I'm not sure what's causing them to be so intense, but I hope they cease soon. I'm having a hard time getting back to sleep after I wake up, and that's making me feel pretty grouchy during the day.

Last night's dream involved pregnant women, newborn babies, and knitting needles with little baby socks on them. On a logical level, I know that the chances of me being pregnant are next to nil, but a part of me wonders if I could be. After all, I know three women who became pregnant after their husbands had vasectomies done at the base, and after all three men had been tested and cleared by the doctors. Considering that I know only about a dozen women on base, and considering that I only know three women whose husbands had vasectomies there, that's not a reassuring sign.

I'm not too worried about it. If I'm pregnant, I'm pregnant. If I'm not, I'm not.

Uninterrupted sleep would be nice, either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment