Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Quiet work day

If all goes well, I'm expecting today to be a quiet day here at home. I have a charity quilt on the frame that needs to be done by the end of the week; I'm hoping to get some good referrals from the large quilt guild in town because of this. I know, I know. I'm supposed to be doing charity quilts out of the goodness of my heart, and in a lot of ways, I am, but I need to advertise my business, too. I can't keep claiming a loss on my taxes year after year. I really, really need to get more work into my studio.

While I was at the guild meeting last night, I ran into a good friend of mine who works at one of the local quilt shops. She's a sweetie, and I really enjoyed just sitting there with her and the other ladies while I pieced a charity quilt. January's guild meetings are working meetings. We bring our machines and supplies, while the guild provides the pre-cut kits and cookies. It was fun to be able to visit with my friends while working. I don't get to do that often enough.

There was an auction quilt being advertised at the meeting last night, and while I didn't like the quilt, I did like the charity receiving the money. They are a dachshund rescue group, trying to raise funds to pay veterinary bills for the abandoned dogs in their care. Mom had two dachshunds, Heidi and Gretchen, and they were good pets. If I were to get a dog, that breed would be near the top of my list. I'm not ready to buy a dog right now (they charge $250 to adopt), but I am willing to consider fostering one while they look for a forever family for it. That would give us a chance to see if our family is really ready for a pet, while not forcing us to make a decision to offer one a permanent home. We'll see.

My new knitting needles will be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait! I haven't done nearly enough work on the girls' baby afghans this week, but I really need to get my quilts finished first.

I'm going to hook up my iPhone to the TV upstairs, just to see if Starbuck will watch Bunnytown while I quilt. Maybe if I'm in the same room, she'll behave herself and let me do what I need to do. I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment