We are expecting some sort of ice storm here this week. Just what we don't need. I can handle snow, but ice is just awful. Our driveway was covered in ice from the "freezing fog" we've had here lately, and even the van was sliding on it this morning. We have appointments tomorrow, and it will be a challenge to get the kids in and out of schools and doctors' offices without falling down. I'm not looking forward to it.
My second son's quilt is finally on my quilting frame, but it looks like I'll need to remove it and reload it. The backing isn't laying flat, like it should, which means that I didn't do a good enough job of squaring the edges before sewing it to the fabric leaders that connect the quilt to the machine. With a quilt that size (90" x 104"), even a small amount of extra fabric in the wrong place can lead to big problems, and I really don't want to ruin the quilt by creating a bunch of puckers in the backing. It's frustrating, because just getting to this point took hours yesterday, and I really don't want to have to tear everything out and start over. I'll see if it can be salvaged when I go up there later on this morning, but I'm not hopeful. One way or another, I want to get that quilt done!
As far as college is concerned, I decided to drop down to seven credit hours this quarter. Sure, I needed the other classes, too, but I know that I can't handle that much work right now. If I don't graduate this year, that's okay. I'd rather wait than to try to take on more than I can handle. I have to finish my first assignment in one of my classes today, so I'll alternate between working on my assignment and working on my son's quilt.
There's a website called Ravelry that's devoted to people who work with yarn and related crafts, and I've joined a group on Ravelry devoted to the yarn I've used for almost all of the projects I've made in my entire life. Granted, that yarn is 100% acrylic and isn't exactly the softest yarn in the world, but it's held up wonderfully. The projects I made in the early 80's are still colorful and new-looking, despite decades of abuse, and the baby afghans are still in good shape and ready to hand down to their recipients' children. Anyway, the website is hosting Ravelympics in February, to coincide with the winter Olympic games this year. The yarn company is sponsoring our group, providing prizes for this event, and I plan to finish several projects during that contest to increase my odds of winning. I have been wanting to finish the baby afghans I started for Princess and Starbuck, as well as the afghan I started for my own bed (which will probably be stolen by the kids for snuggling on the couch). I think it will be fun, and it will give me something to do while I'm watching the Olympics.
Starbuck crawled into bed with me at 5 a.m. this morning. She loves cuddling with her Mommy! I could just hold her forever. None of my other babies were like this; by the time they were a year or two old, they stopped wanting to be held, and they certainly didn't try to crawl into my bed several times per week. Even Spot, who loves hugs, never liked to be outside of his crib when he was tired (which was often during his babyhood). I know that Starbuck will outgrow this sooner or later, but I'm enjoying it while I can. I am going to miss these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment