Our littlest boy, nicknamed Spot by his older brothers, went to a local mall this morning for three hours to shop for Christmas presents for his family, as well as a chance to visit with Santa and eat pizza with other kids with visual difficulties. All in all, I think he had fun.
While I was waiting for him to get done, I stopped at one of the local department stores and bought some Pfaltzgraff Winterberry mugs and bowls to use as teachers' gifts this year. They were deeply discounted from their normal price, so I returned later on to buy more pieces for my own collection.
Sweetie and I have been discussing our future housing arrangements lately. Our current house is too small for our family, but when we purchased it, we fully expected to move within two years at the most. Now, we're staying here for at least two more years, with a strong possibility of even more time here after Sweetie retires from the military. This house isn't going to be adequate for our family for that much time.
There's a house for sale around the corner from us, but it was built by the same builder who built ours, and we aren't really happy with their workmanship. The floor plan is nice, and it will be big enough for our family (and my huge quilting machine), but it just isn't what we want. We'd lose hundreds of dollars a year in energy bills, simply because the house will be as drafty as our current home.
Due to the crash of the housing market, there are many parcels of land in our subdivision that are for sale. The prices are very low, and we would love to build a new house on any one of them. We're going to need to do a lot of research to see if we can afford to build our own house here, but it's looking like a more attractive option for us than buying another house that we don't like.
In the meantime, I am going to put the kids to bed early tonight, so I can get some quilting finished. I need some Mommy time!
No comments:
Post a Comment