Well, the land I thought was reasonably priced was only appraised for a low price. The real estate company that owns it wants more than twice the appraised value for the land. I realize that there's a good chance we can pay much less for the land if we really wanted to bargain with the company, but that's just more stress than it's worth.
After doing even more research, I discovered that the bylaws of the subdivision state that nobody can own any sort of home-based business in their subdivision. No home businesses AT ALL! I'm not giving up my quilting business under any circumstances, so we've decided not to pursue my idea of building a new home here. (For the record, the subdivision in question is adjacent to our current subdivision, and my home business is perfectly legal here.)
It would have been nice to build a pretty new house, but I'm not too disappointed that it didn't work out. Building a brand new dream house would make it harder for us to move away from here, if Sweetie's job prospects lead us elsewhere.
Now that this has been decided, I'm going to contact my realtor tomorrow and ask about the house around the corner from us. If we can negotiate a good price, and if our bank will work with us on a new mortgage, maybe we'll have a larger place to live for the next two years or so. That would be a nice compromise. We'll see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment