Friday, February 5, 2010

Spending Spree

Our tax refund arrived yesterday, and the money is flying out of the house. Bills are getting paid, birthday presents are being purchased, and everyone is getting at least one new outfit to help get them through the winter.

I've discovered that Levi's jeans are not impervious to ripped knees, but they do last longer than everything else I've bought for the kids. Fortunately, I was able to find the right sizes at the store last night; it's hard to find slim sizes, particularly for Twirler, who is very tall and very skinny. I'll be shopping for the baby girls once the snow is removed from the roads enough for us to get out of the house relatively easily.

We broke down and bought a Blu-Ray player last night. We have a low-end HDTV, and our DVD player was in pretty poor shape, so we decided to make the switch. Starbuck is watching Sleeping Beauty right now, and it looks really sharp. I'm sure that Sweetie is now going to want the Battlestar Galactica seasons on Blu-Ray for his birthday, so I'll finally be able to get him something he'll really enjoy as a gift.

J's bicycle fork and headset arrived yesterday. It looks like I bought the right sizes, so that's a good thing. I'm about to order my shop tools, so I can start dismantling my bicycle and getting J's ready to build. I've decided to let the local bike shop do the assembly, because I want to ensure that the bike will be completely safe. Obviously, things like the chain and cables will need to be replaced, but the bulk of the components are in very good condition.

I used my bookstore coupon last night to purchase a book on knitting two socks at a time. I've joined a Mystery Sock Knit-a-long, and I have some gorgeous sock yarn just waiting to go. While I was reading the book last night, I discovered something new. Apparently, there are Sock Wars going on nowadays. A Sock War is when you and a group of other knitters have a race to see who can knit a pair of socks the fastest. The goal is to get your socks in the mail before someone else does. It sounds like fun, but I wouldn't want to send my hard work away like that. If I knit a pair of socks, I want to enjoy those socks!

My first Mystery Shawl is coming along nicely. I'm a bit behind the rest of the group, because I joined late and because I haven't had a lot of time to knit lately. Oh, and also because I had to tear out 25 rows of knitting when I made a serious error and had to start over. Lace knitting is much harder than what I've done before, but I am really enjoying it.

I bought a scratch pad and catnip toy for our kittens last night, and Lucky spend the entire evening playing with both. Sweetie said that he was playing with it this morning, too. The rest of the night, Lucky was curled up on my pillow or on top of my feet, and when I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, he followed me and wrapped himself around my feet. I guess he's either grateful for his new toy or the catnip has made him particularly affectionate. It's cute.

Time to take advantage of Starbuck's absorption in the movie to get some work done. Lots to do today!

No comments:

Post a Comment