Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Be careful what you wish for

(Yes, son #2, I know my grammar isn't entirely correct.)

Yesterday, I wished for a good night's sleep. One uninterrupted by children and kittens alike. Well, aside from Sweetie's alarm and his quiet preparations for work, I received my wish. Unfortunately, today is a school day, and having Mommy sleep in until 7:59 is not a good thing, particularly when Twirler was supposed to be at school by 7:45 and the boys needed to arrive by 8:10.

Needless to say, this morning was really rushed for everyone!

Now that the children are off to school, I'm planning to relax today. The only thing I need to do is go grocery shopping at some point, and I can do that after dinner tonight. Sweetie and I are going to meet for lunch later on today, and I'm looking forward to spending some time with him.

Right after Princess left for preschool, the base hospital called to let me know the results of my blood tests. My anemia is finally under control! My blood iron levels are well within normal limits, and as long as I continue to take some iron every day, I should avoid a repeat of the severe anemia that I had late last year. This means that I no longer NEED to have the surgery I scheduled later this month, and since I didn't really WANT to have it done, it's safe for me to wait. That is the best news of all, because I was dreading that surgery more than words can say.

Our tax refund is due to arrive on Friday, if all goes well. Part of it needs to go towards home repairs and improvements; most importantly, we need a window installed in our basement, so that Twirler can have a safe place of her own. Unfortunately, it won't be the bedroom we wanted to create for her, but it will be good enough for the time being. I plan on replacing my kitchen sink, the disposer, and the faucets (kitchen and bath) sometime this month. I need to pay for dental work, too. I am missing three molars, and I've been putting off the bridges for years now. It's time to get one of those fixed, as much as I hate spending money on my teeth. With Sweetie due to lose the bulk of his medical and dental benefits in a couple of years, I really need to get this process started sooner rather than later. My dental plan will only cover one bridge per year, due to their coverage limits, so that's all I'm going to do right now. The remainder of the tax refund will go towards bills and bicycles.

Yesterday, I went to the local yarn shop to buy a swift and a ball winder. A swift is a big device that you use with hanks of yarn (which are often around 25" in diameter). You place the loop of yarn over the swift, then you connect the end of the yarn to the ball winder. As you wind the yarn into a ball, the swift rotates freely, allowing you to quickly and easily transfer your hank of yarn into a convenient ball. The yarn I bought for my first mystery shawl knit-a-long came as hanks, and since I know that I will enjoy doing this for years to come, I went ahead and invested in my own swift and ball winder. Unfortunately, I was surprised when I purchased these items locally, rather than buying online. Yes, I knew that I would be paying more for buying from a local independent yarn shop, but I didn't know that this particular shop would mark up these items to almost three times wholesale cost! However, since I love this yarn shop, and since I want to help them stay in business, I handed over my debit card without complaint. I am part of their customer loyalty program, so I figure that I'll just earn my gift certificate a little earlier than planned. Not a huge deal, but I wish I had seen the prices before I told the saleslady what I wanted to buy. I am happy with my purchases, though, because that huge hank of yarn was turned into two nice, neat balls of yarn in less than half an hour. Now I'm ready to work on my shawl as soon as time permits.

Midnight and Lucky, our kittens, are fighting right now. Starbuck is in the other room, so I know that the screaming cats are not due to my daughter torturing them. Like typical siblings, these kittens will fight with each other one minute and cuddle each other the next. The kids are so happy to have pets that they aren't complaining too much about all of the scratches they've received so far.

Yesterday, I received samples of reusable bags from a company that makes them for advertising purposes. I'm going to stuff one of my bulkiest quilts into them, just to see if they will be the right size for my quilting business. I'd love to see my business logo all over the place at the quilt guild meetings, and with the bags costing less than $2 each, it's fairly cheap advertising. We'll see if things work out.

That good night's sleep I had is really helping me today. I actually feel like I have more energy than normal, and that's a very good thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment