Monday, June 7, 2010

A new experience

This afternoon, our lawn care crew showed up at the house to take care of our lawn. I went outside to unlock our gate, and I discovered something gruesome.

There was a dead rabbit in our yard.

It had obviously been something's dinner, and since the little ones didn't notice it while they were in the yard yesterday, we suspect that it had been killed yesterday evening. We do have an owl that hangs out in our neighborhood, so it's entirely possible that the owl was the culprit. Also, our cat had been acting very strangely last evening, but I didn't see anything when I glanced out the window. The rabbit was probably visible to Lucky through the slats of the deck; I admit that I didn't look in that direction, and that part of the yard was in shadow at that time of the day.

Anyway, I took a heavy-duty trash bag outside to pick up what remained of the rabbit. I'm not going to go into gory detail here on my blog, but I will say that my forensic anthropology class was well worth every penny I spent on it. Because of that class, I knew what was going on with the remains of the rabbit, and I didn't get grossed out by what I saw. If I hadn't had that class, well, things could have been ugly.

I have to admit that I'm quite proud of myself. Not only did I not freak out, I was able to show my children something that they don't get to see every day. It allowed me to give them a little bit more knowledge about our natural world, and it helped them understand that even bacteria and insects have a role to play on our planet.

The challenge for me will be erasing what I witnessed from my subconscious, because I really don't want to have nightmares about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment